###

Mighty Wurlitzer

Werner Ferdinand von Siemens, grandson of the company’s founder, bought this four-manual instrument from the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company in North Tonawanda, NY, in 1929. The organ is the biggest of its kind on the European continent and has fifteen ranks. The complete pipe work and the sound effects (»toy counter«) are put up in three chambers with transparent back walls at the gallery of the museum. The illuminated horseshoe console with eggshell finish occupies a central position amidst the museum. The relay station and wind machine are located in the basement. The Mighty Wurlitzer has 1228 pipes and more than 200 stops. Furthermore, there are numerous percussion instruments. All sounds are generated acoustically. The connection between key and pipe is controlled electronically with relays.

In the 1920's, the theatre organ provided musical accompaniment to silent films, and later great virtuosi played concerts on it. Today, the Berlin Mighty Wurlitzer is frequently played during   tours, as accompaniment to silent films and in special concerts. In the   Museums-Shop, several recordings of the organ can be purchased.

The Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ, Cat.-No. 5369, played by Bernd Wurzenrainer (Flash)

  May 22, 2004: Lang Lang visits the Mighty Wurlitzer.
Picture taken by Jörg Joachim Riehle