###

Overview

1888 Founding of the Berlin collection of old musical instruments at the »Königliche akademische Hochschule für Musik«. Acquisition of the »Museum alterthümlicher Musikinstrumente« (240 objects) from Paul de Wit, Leipzig, at the instigation of Philipp Spitta and Joseph Joachim. Inclusion of 34 musical instruments of the »Kunstgewerbemuseum«.

1890 Acquisition of another 282 instruments from Paul de Wit.

1891 Acquisition of 35 wind instruments from the »Stadtkirche St. Wenzel« at Naumburg for the »Königliche Sammlung alter Musikinstrumente«.

1892 Participation in the »Internationale Ausstellung für Musik und Theaterwesen Wien 1892« with 340 instruments (May 7 to Oct 9).

1893 Opening of the Royal collection of old musical instruments at the former »Bauakademie« at the Schinkelplatz (Feb 14). Oskar Fleischer is appointed director.

1901 Participation in the Bach-exhibition in the ballroom of the »Berliner Rathaus« which followed the »Erstes deutsches Bachfest« organised by the »Neue Bachgesellschaft« (March 21–23).

1902 Emperor Wilhelm II sponsors the acquisition of the instrument collection of César Snoeck from Ghent (1145 objects). The »Königliche akademische Hochschule für Musik« with its collection of old instruments moves to Fasanenstraße 1 at the Steinplatz in Charlottenburg near Berlin.

1917 Founding of the »Fürstliches Institut für musikwissenschaftliche Forschung zu Bückeburg« under the patronage of Prince Adolf zu Schaumburg-Lippe. Carl August Rau is appointed first director.

1919 In December, Curt Sachs is appointed new director of the collection of old instruments at the »Staatliche Hochschule für Musik zu Berlin«.

1927 Participation in the »Internationale Musikausstellung« in Ghent (April 28 to May 22) and in the exhibition »Die Musik im Leben der Völker« in Frankfurt am Main (June 11 to August 28).

1933 Curt Sachs is forced into exile. His successor is Georg Schünemann.

1935 Founding of the »Berlin Staatliches Institut für deutsche Musikforschung« under the direction of Max Seiffert. Three departments are established: the history department that was founded as the »Fürstliches Institut für musikwissenschaftliche Forschung zu Bückeburg« in 1917; the folk music department under the direction of Kurt Huber, which incorporated the Berlin music archive of German folk songs founded in 1917; and the »Musikinstrumenten-Museum«, which is separated from the music conservatory. After Georg Schünemann is transferred to the music department at the »Staatsbibliothek«, Alfons Kreichgauer is appointed director of the collection of old musical instruments.

1936 The »Musikinstrumenten-Museum« is moved to the premises of the »Staatliches Institut für deutsche Musikforschung«: the »Palais Kreutz« at Klosterstraße 36. Reopening of the museum is on December 18.

1938 Albrecht Ganse succeeds Alfons Kreichgauer.

1939 Hans-Heinz Dräger takes charge of the museum.

1941 Max Seiffert retires. The direction of the institute is provisionally assigned to Hans Albrecht.

1943 Beginning of the evacuation of the institute’s collections. Despite extensive safeguards, large portions of the collections are lost during World War II.

1945 »By decree of the Imperial Minister of Sciences, Education and Cultural Development the ›Staatliches Institut für deutsche Musikforschung‹ is shut down as of January 1, 1945.« With significant effort the institute and in particular the »Musikinstrumenten-Museum« is rebuilt following the Second World War. The institute is under the control of the magistrate of Groß-Berlin (= Greater Berlin) and later of the Berlin senate (West). Head of division for music and art at the Berlin magistrate is Alfred Berner.

1949 After having been located at various provisional places the institute moves to »Schloss Charlottenburg«. Alfred Berner is the director of the institute.

1950 Even before its official opening, the »Institut für Musikforschung Groß-Berlin« hosts its first chamber concert, performed on period instruments from the collection, at the oak gallery of »Schloss Charlottenburg«. The occasion is the bicentenary of Johann Sebastian Bach’s death (on July 25).

1951 The »Musikinstrumenten-Museum« obtains showrooms in the west wing of »Schloss Charlottenburg«.

1962 The »Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung« and its »Musikinstrumenten-Museum«, which had been funded earlier by the Berlin senate, is incorporated into the newly established »Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz«. It moves to the former »Joachimsthalsches Gymnasium« at Bundesallee 1–12.

1963 Reopening of the Musikinstrumenten-Museum on January 26.

1965 With funds granted by the »Fritz Thyssen Stiftung« the department of musical acoustics at the »Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung« is founded. In the same year the department moves to Stauffenbergstraße 14 (Bendlerblock).

1966 Alfred Berner is appointed director of the »Musikinstrumenten-Museum«.

1967 The department of musical acoustics is incorporated into the institute. Hans-Peter-Reinecke is appointed director of the »Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung Preußischer Kulturbesitz«.

1968 The history department, the folk music department and the majority of the library move from Bundesallee to Stauffenbergstraße.

1975 Alfred Berner retires. The director of the institute, Hans-Peter Reinecke, temporarily takes charge of the museum.

1979 Laying of the foundation stone for the new building next to the Philharmonic Hall at Tiergartenstraße 1.

1984 Dagmar Droysen-Reber is appointed director of the »Musikinstrumenten-Museum«. Opening of the new building for the »Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung Preußischer Kulturbesitz« and its »Musikinstrumenten-Museum« on December 14.

1988 Centenary of the Musikinstrumenten-Museum. Appreciation with a ceremony on April 10. The weeklong celebration of the jubilee (April 10 to 17) is musically framed by the »Second Europäische Harfenwoche« under the patronage of the president of the European Parliament, Lord Plumb of Coleshill.

1989 Hans-Peter Reinecke retires. Dagmar Droysen-Reber, director of the Musikinstrumenten-Museum, is acting director of the institute as well.

1991 Dagmar Droysen-Reber is appointed director of the institute.

1994 Dagmar Droysen-Reber retires. Thomas Ertelt is acting director of the institute and Conny Restle is acting director of the Musikinstrumenten-Museum.

2000 The foundation board adopts the »Denkschrift zur Neuorientierung« for the activities of the »Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung«.

2001 Thomas Ertelt is appointed director of the institute; Conny Restle is appointed director of the Musikinstrumenten-Museum.